54 – Objections from Torah Keepers
1. What about Matthew 5:17-19
a. Play Audio 1
b. “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. 18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. 19 Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.
c. see verses 23-24 Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift.
d. And Matt 23:23 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone.
e. Luke 16:17 And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away than for one tittle of the law to fail.
i. Thus, “till heaven and earth pass away” could mean, “Unless heaven and earth pass away” (as “till hell freezes over” means “Unless hell freezes over)
f. “to fulfill” (Matt5:17) Gr. Pleroo “filled-up” “completed”
i. Audio 2 – Pleroo
ii. 2 Cor.10:6 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ, 6 and being ready to punish all disobedience when your obedience is fulfilled.
iii. Acts 3:18 But those things which God foretold by the mouth of all His prophets, that the Christ would suffer, He has thus fulfilled.
iv. Luke 24:44-45 Then He said to them, “These are the words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things must be fulfilled which were written in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms concerning Me.” 45 And He opened their understanding, that they might comprehend the Scriptures.
v. John 19:36 For these things were done that the Scripture should be fulfilled, “Not one of His bones shall be broken.”
vi. Luke 21:22 For these are the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.
g. “be fulfilled” (v.18) Gr. ginomai “become” “be created” “occur, come to pass”
i. Words used similarly: Gr. Teleloo and teleo “reach the end, or the goal”
1. Acts 13:29 Now when they had fulfilled all that was written concerning Him, they took Him down from the tree and laid Him in a tomb.
2. Rom.13:10 pleroma= Completed Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.
3. Rom.2:27 teleo And will not the physically uncircumcised, if he fulfills the law, judge you who, even with your written code and circumcision, are a transgressor of the law?
4. James 2:8 teleo; If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you do well;
5. Luke 18:31 Then He took the twelve aside and said to them, “Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem, and all things that are written by the prophets concerning the Son of Man will be accomplished.
6. Luke 22:37 For I say to you that this which is written must still be accomplished in Me: ‘And He was numbered with the transgressors.’ For the things concerning Me have an end.”
7. John 19:30 teleo So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, “It is finished!” And bowing His head, He gave up His spirit.
h. Jesus is the Authority
i. Audio 2.5 -
i. Commandments are the commandments of Moses
i. Audio 2.7 -
j. Paul Put down by Torah Teachers
i. Audio 3 – Jesus higher than Paul
1. What is an Apostle?
ii. Audio 3.5 – Yeah but here’s what Paul Said
iii. Audio 3.6 – Paul’s view is Schizo
iv. Audio 4 – We are in the church of Paul
v. Audio 5 – Church of Paul
vi. Audio 6 – Paul’s Statements
vii. Audio 7 – Paul and Jesus disagree
viii. Audio 8 – Accepting this doctrine puts Paul opposed to Jesus
ix. Audio 8.5 – Paul held the opposite view
x. Audio 9 – Is it Paul or Jesus
xi. Audio 10 - Romans 3:29 Out of context:
1. Romans 3:19-28 Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become [e]guilty before God. 20 Therefore by the deeds of the law no flesh will be justified in His sight, for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
21 But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, 22 even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all [f]and on all who believe. For there is no difference; 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 being justified [g]freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, 25 whom God set forth as a [h]propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed, 26 to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.
27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? Of works? No, but by the law of faith. 28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith apart from the deeds of the law.
k. So it’s reasonable then to establish the authority of Paul and the other apostles:
i. An apostle in almost all of his letters.
1. Romans 1:1 Paul, a bondservant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated to the gospel of God
2. 1 Corinthians 1:1 Paul, called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God
3. 2 Corinthian 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God
4. Galatians 1:1 Paul, an apostle (not from men nor through man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father who raised Him from the dead),
5. Ephesians 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God
6. Colossians 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God
7. 1 Timothy 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ, by the commandment of God our Savior and the Lord Jesus Christ, our hope
8. 2 Timothy 1:1 Paul, an apostle of [a]Jesus Christ by the will of God, according to the promise of life which is in Christ Jesus
9. Titus 1:1 Paul, a bondservant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ
10. Both of Peter’s letters
l. All the Law and the Prophets fulfilled in “love your neighbor”
i. Gal.5:14 pleroo For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”
ii. Rom 8:4 pleroo that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.
iii. Rom 13:9-10 pleroma For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not bear false witness,” “You shall not covet,” and if there is any other commandment, are all summed up in this saying, namely, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 10 Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.
iv. James 2:8 teleo If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you do well;
v. Matt 7:12 Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.